Books I've just bought

One of the things that I miss about being the minister of a local church is the space to read.  I find that in my role, reading is far more intermittent and rarely leisurely.  This means that I purchase books less frequently.  However, I've just had a bit of a spending spree.  

For some time I've had it in mind to get Tom Wright on Romans in the The New Interpreter's Bible Commentary.  So I splashed out - even at a reduced rate it was quite an expense - and had the joy of receiving a large parcel containing a seriously large volume.  I've dipped into it and I'm at that stage of deluding myself into thinking that I'll read it from beginning to end.

By contrast, I've also received Daniel Barenboim's Everything is Connected: The Power of Music.  This slim edition by comparison, is also in hardback which has that feeling of luxury and durability.  I listened to Barnboim's 2006 Reith Lectures on music, as podcasts.  They were entertaining but had real substance on several levels, and I see that he includes some of the same material, so another pleasure to come.  I'm enjoying his recording of the Beethoven piano sonatas, having heard how fantastic his performances were at the South Bank earlier year.

Today I received John Paul Lederach, The Journey Toward Reconciliation.  I remember this as a book that was recommended when I undertook mediation training with the London Mennonite Centre's Bridge Builders.  I'm putting together an event for churches in the Central Baptist Association with the title, 'When Christians Disagree', and I thought I'd read this as I prepare.  Lederach uses stories from his own experience of peacemaking as he reflects on learning to live together in the midst of deep differences.

And finally Amazon have just informed me that my most recent order is in the post, Dave Tomlinson's Re-enchanting Christianity.  I've recently heard his talk from Greenbelt and having been stimulated by his other books thought I'd hear a bit more of what he's saying at the moment.

Now all I've got to do is read them rather than look at them longingly.

Comments

Popular Posts