Thanksgiving for a Ruby Wedding

I had such a good day yesterday!  Eighteen months ago I was asked by Andrew Thomas, the Minister of Kingsthorpe Baptist Church, Northampton, to preach on the special occasion of his ruby wedding anniversary.  It was a very special occasion for everyone there, Andrew and Joy in particular, their family and friends, and the church family, and also Cazz and me.

It gave me an opportunity to use a form of words I used in my last church, taken from the Common Order of the Church of Scotland, but more recently appearing in our own Gathering for Worship.

Rather than just repeat the words used in the wedding service, Andrew spoke these words to Joy and she then spoke the same words to him:

I Andrew, in the presence of God
renew my commitment to you, Joy, as your husband.
I give thanks that you have shared my life. 
All that I am and all that I have I continue to share with you.
Whatever, the future holds, I will love you and stand by you, 
as long as we both shall live.

The congregation were then asked if they would continue to uphold them in their marriage and they responded 'we will'.  It was most moving, and the sense of privilege of ministry was enormous.

A terrific lunch was laid on including an array of home-cooked puddings which was spectacular!

Comments

Popular Posts